Students kick-off Dance Marathon celebration

From left, Emily Swessinger, 8, and Emily Mahaney, sophomore in journalism and mass communication, score a direct hit on Alex Taggart, sophomore in hotel, restaurant/institution managment, submarine on Saturday in the Durham Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Swessinger and Mahaney eventually won the game of Battleship. Photo: Josh Harrell/Iowa State Daily

unknown

Ryne Dittmer

The countdown has ended.

At 9 a.m. Saturday morning, Dance Marathon officially took over the Great Hall of the Memorial Union, with 880 dancers prepared for 15 hours of dancing, games and music in celebration of the children and families from the University of Iowa’s Children’s Hospital. Each dancer raised a minimum of $200, funds that will go to benefit the hospital along with the Children’s Miracle Network.

Participants will remain standing until midnight, kickin’ it for the kids. Registration began at 7:30 a.m. in the Gallery Room, as participants faced below-freezing temperatures en route to the Memorial Union. For students who didn’t register but still want to keep an eye on the event, the entire marathon will be broadcast live from Dance Marathon’s Web site.

Watch our video coverage as it comes in throughout the day.

VIDEO: the kick-off

VIDEO: the dancers

VIDEO: the activities

Stay tuned for full coverage of the event in Monday’s paper.