BASKETBALL: Chemistry comes quickly for men’s team

Iowa State freshman Craig Brackins goes up for a dunk, Sunday, November 4, 2007, during the game against the EA Sports team at Hilton Coliseum. Iowa State defeated EA Sports 74 to 63. Photo: Trevor Patch/Iowa State Daily

Matt Gubbels

The ISU men’s basketball team has 15 players on its roster, 11 of which are freshmen and sophomores.

Even though the Cyclones will have a considerably young roster, the sentiment of players and coach Greg McDermott at Big 12 Media Days in Oklahoma City on Thursday is that the team chemistry is rapidly developing.

“It’s actually surprising how comfortable we are with each other, with having all of the fresh faces,” forward Craig Brackins said. “Last year we had to develop a chemistry; this year we just have this weird chemistry coming out of nowhere.”

McDermott said each of the five returners has helped lead the team in the right direction in their own way.

“Bryan Petersen has done a great job with his leadership so far and Alex Thompson and Sean Haluska in their own way with their approach to practice every day,” McDermott said. “Even though they are sophomores, Craig Brackins and Diante Garrett have shown signs that they really want to take the next step and become a leader on our team.”

Brackins and Thompson return in the post, while Iowa State brings back something it has not had much of under McDermott: experience in the backcourt. Petersen and Garrett manned the point guard position and Haluska came on strong with his shooting at the end of last season from the off-guard.

“We have a little more experience, but we are also bringing eight new players who have never played Division I college basketball,” Petersen said. “It’s a learning experience.”

Freshmen adding new elements to team

One of the things the Cyclones struggled with last season was shooting the ball, finishing last in the conference in field goal percentage.

Petersen said the new players have added a lot in that aspect of the game.

“A lot of the guys Coach Mac brought in can really shoot the ball,” Petersen said. “They all have really good attitudes and work ethics.”

Of the seven newcomers on the team, along with Lucca Staiger, who was ineligible last season, Iowa State has four new guards and four new post players. Many of those eight players, especially Staiger, are expected to play key roles this season.

McDermott said guards Dominique Buckley and Wes Eikmeier have impressed him in the backcourt, and Justin Hamilton has looked impressive in the paint.

“Dominique, his strength and decisions with the basketball, I think he can come in and have an impact at the point guard position immediately,” McDermott said. “We were a dismal shooting team last year and Wes Eikmeier hopefully can help us solve that problem. He’s a prolific scorer, shoots with great range and has probably shown me that he has a little bit more off the dribble than I probably anticipated.

“Justin Hamilton’s probably separated himself somewhat the last five or six practices and, that 6-feet 11-inches, almost 260 pounds, gives us something we really haven’t had.”