Latino Heritage Month begins

Latino Heritage Month begins

Latino Heritage Month begins

James Pusey

Latino students are celebrating their culture as Latino Heritage Month kicks off this week.

The month of celebration officially started Monday with a march of flags from Parks Library to the Memorial Union, but there is much more on-campus celebration to come, said Daniel Hodapp, president of the Iowa State Latino Heritage Month Committee and junior in art and design.

“We have a series of events this month that we’ve planned for students to experience our culture and to promote Latino awareness on campus,” Hodapp said.

He said an opening ceremony called “Celebrations” will be held at 10:30 p.m. Friday at Bali Satay House, 2424 Lincoln Way. He said all students are invited to attend this party and dance, featuring Latino music, sponsored by the Latino Heritage Month Committee and Lambda Theta Nu Sorority.

Sonia Nazario, a Pulitzer Prize-winning feature writer, is the Latino Heritage Month’s featured speaker, and will be delivering a speech in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union at 8 p.m. Sept. 23. Hodapp said she will talk about her book, which focuses on immigration issues.

“That’s definitely a hot event to go to. Immigration isn’t in the topics of discussion right now, but we want to bring it up again,” Hodapp said.

Hodapp said he has seen Latino awareness at Iowa State increase in the last couple of years, and that the Latino Heritage Month Committee has also grown since he’s been here.

“I’ve been doing this for three years now, so I always enjoy seeing new people come out and experience it,” Hodapp said.

Mary Jo Gonzales, associate dean of students and director of the academic success center, said she is excited to attend some of Latino Heritage Month events, and she encouraged students to do so as well.

“All students benefit from learning about one another,” Gonzales said. “This is one way that one group of students, in particular, provides the campus an opportunity to explore one culture that’s represented on our campus.”

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Latino Heritage Month, also called Hispanic Heritage Month, begins Sept. 15 because five Latin American countries celebrate their independence on that date. Mexico celebrates its independence Sept. 16.

Hodapp said the last event for Latino Heritage Month will be “Noche de Cultura.” It’s a free show with appetizers, beginning at 7 p.m. Oct. 19, at the Durham Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Hodapp said this is usually the main event during the month, and he thinks that it’s something all students can enjoy.

He said he is expecting a good turnout at the events because they give students a chance to experience a different culture.

“I think it is important because they know that diversity does exist here on campus. It’s something that everyone should experience,” Hodapp said.