Community raises money for NIU memorial at HS basketball game

Pat Shaver

DEKALB, Ill.-The DeKalb High School basketball game went on like normal on Saturday night.

However, community members turned out in support of the victims of the shooting that happened on Thursday February 14.

“I’m glad to see the way we came together,” said Sue Petras, DeKalb resident and Barb booster member. “It has just been a huge turn out from the community.”

High school administrators asked for people to show up to the game wearing NIU’s colors-red and black.

“I think that 75 percent of the people have red and black on,” said Tammi Davis, DeKalb resident and Barb booster secretary. “Sycamore is one of our biggest rivals, it is just really nice to see the support.”

Members of the Barb booster club were selling “50-50” raffle tickets to people attending the game. Of the money they made from selling tickets, they planned to give 50 percent of of the total to the winner and the other half to the NIU memorial fund.

The DeKalb Barb Booster club normally has raffles at high school and junior high sporting events to raise money to use on equipment for some sports.

Saturday night was different. Instead of raising money for the teams, they were raising money for the NIU memorial fund.

The DeKalb Barb Boosters are volunteer groups that raise money for sports programs at DeKalb High School, Huntley Middle School and Clinton Rosette Middle School.

“Hopefully, the winner will donate at least a portion of the winnings,” Davis said.

The DeKalb Chamber of Commerce set up the fundraising event at the game.

“I think it has devastated everybody,” Davis said. “It has brought the entire community together.”

She said she never expected something like this to happen so close to home.

“You never really think something like that will happen in a town this size,” Davis said. “You just take everything for granted sometimes.”

Davis said she has a friend who is a nurse who worked on some of the victims. She operated on the first student who passed away.

“She was so upset, she left town for the weekend,” Davis said.

Veterans of the DeKalb American Legion, post 66, presented an honorary flag ceremony between the junior varsity and varsity basketball games.

“One of the main reasons we are here is to support the community,” said Donald Bolt, member of post 66 and DeKalb resident.

Before the flag ceremony, Lindsey Hall, DeKalb High School principal, addressed the people at the game.

“An unimaginable tragedy has effected the NIU community,” Hall said. “I hope that that we can all move forward.”

Hall thanked the opposing team’s players and fans for their cooperation and support. She also said that Saturday’s game was a “tremendous” example of the community coming together in hard times.

“We had people calling in from all around making sure we are alright,” said John Bardh, member of the American Legion and DeKalb resident. “It is such a horrible situation.”