Event started at Penn State, spread over campuses

Sarah Thiele

Penn State University held the first Dance Marathon in 1973, not knowing that, 35 years later, it would be one of the largest philanthropic events held on campuses across the country.

Penn State Dance Marathon, also known as THON, is the largest student-run philanthropy in the world. The group has raised over $46 million in its 35 year history.

Dance Marathon came to the state of Iowa in 1994 at the University of Iowa. Iowa has raised more than $5.4 million in just 13 years.

Chris Frett, morale director of University of Iowa Dance Marathon, said the program continues to grow at Iowa because they have such strong recruitment.

“This past summer, we had representation at our student orientation sessions,” Frett said. “In spring of 2007, we started our first early recruitment and had about 400 people register before we even went to summer, so that was a huge source of growth for us.”

Iowa State started Dance Marathon in 1998 and has raised over $1 million.

Amanda Crawford, senior in journalism and mass communication and general co-chairwoman for ISU Dance Marathon, said, because the hospital is in Iowa City, Iowa’s Dance Marathon is more popular around the University of Iowa.

“It’s a much more familiar cause at the University of Iowa,” Crawford said. “It’s different here in Ames, but it’s all for the same cause.”

Frett said that University of Iowa Dance Marathon has been getting the word out through advertisements, the Dance Marathon logo on various items, word of mouth and a special dancer week program to give back to students.

“We’ve just really been out on campus,” Frett said. “We started a new dancer week program where we gave back to the dancers and invited them to more things where families were involved so they could see what it’s all about.”

Every Dance Marathon is different and unique to the campus it’s held on.

Penn State holds a 46-hour event. The University of Iowa has a Dance Marathon lasting 24 hours and, here at Iowa State, dancers are on their feet for a total of 15 hours.

Tyler Strom, senior in agricultural business and general co-chairman for ISU Dance Marathon, said one thing that sets Iowa State Dance Marathon apart from the others is the connection with participants.

“We really have a close relationship with all of the families,” Strom said. “Also, we support children with life-threatening illnesses, not just cancer.”

Donations come in for sick children

Money raised in first year

Iowa State (1998): $20,000

Iowa (1995) $31,000

Penn State (1973 – the first ever) $2,000

Money raised in 2007

Iowa State: $160,000

Iowa: $880,000

Penn State: $5,240,000

Where the money goes

Iowa State: University of Iowa Children’s Hospital

Iowa: University of Iowa Children’s Hospital

Penn State: The Four Diamonds Fund