Lucca’s appeal denied by NCAA

Tommy Birch

The NCAA ruled Wednesday that Lucca Staiger is ineligible for the 2007-08 season, after an appeal by Iowa State was denied. The ruling reinstated his eligibility for his remaining three years.

“While we realize Mr. Staiger may be disappointed in this decision, he still has the opportunity to pursue his dream of obtaining a college education in America,” said NCAA vice president for membership services Kevin Lennon in a statement Wednesday.

A 6-foot-5-inch, 220-pound guard, Staiger was not certified for competition for this season in October due to his participation with the Ehingen club team in Germany. The NCAA ruled that because two members of the team received stipends for their participation, the club is considered a professional organization. The school was appealing that decision.

Staiger has maintained he did not receive any compensation for his three seasons with the team and was unavailable for comment as the Cyclones traveled to Oregon State for a Friday-night game with the Beavers.

“I still don’t really understand what the point of this whole situation is, because I don’t feel like I did anything wrong,” Staiger said in an interview. Following the NCAA’s decision, ISU athletic director Jamie Pollard issued a statement voicing his displeasure over the issue.

“We had hoped that the NCAA staff would share our belief that the right thing to do in this particular case was to set aside precedent and do what is in the best interest of the student athlete,” Pollard said in the statement. “Unfortunately, they do not share out sentiment.”

While the freshman is not eligible to participate in games with the Cyclones, Lennon added in his statement that Staiger could still practice with the team and receive his scholarship.

“In addition, he will still be able to play three full seasons following this academic year,” Lennon said.

According to the statement, Iowa State can appeal the decision made to the NCAA Division I Student Athlete Reinstatement Committee, an independent committee comprising representatives from NCAA-member colleges, universities and athletic conferences.

Pollard said he has notified the NCAA with his plans to appeal the decision.

“We hope that our peers will share our belief that the right thing to do is set aside precedent and restore Lucca’s eligibility for the remainder of the year,” Pollard said.

Staiger, who has sat courtside for all four of the Cyclones’ regular season home games, has been the subject of chants of “Free Lucca” by the ISU student section.

Averaging 13.3 points and 4.2 rebounds at Decatur Christian High School in Illinois his senior season, Staiger said in the interview he was unsure what his future would hold if the NCAA upheld its decision.

“If I lose and the final decision is that I have to sit out the whole year, then I will start thinking about that,” Staiger said.