UCLA professor addresses Latino issues

Pat Shaver

In a country where 40 percent of Latino people are foreign born and only 3.9 percent of white, non-Latinos are foreign born, a strong Latino studies program is important.

Raymond Rocco, associate professor of political science at the University of California at Los Angeles and candidate for director of the Latino/a Studies Program at Iowa State, described a story from when he was a child.

His father was Sicilian and European looking, while his mother was Mexican, indigenous looking. His father was preparing to buy a house and had been working with a salesman.

“When the salesman saw her [my mother], suddenly the house wasn’t for sale anymore,” Rocco said.

Rocco, who received his Ph.D. from the University of Minnesota, stressed three significant components that characterize a Latino studies program. Those components were: research, teaching and community programs.

Rocco said these components are ever-changing but remain a constant challenge for all programs.

“One of the primary roles [of director] is advocacy,” Rocco said.

He lists expanding faculty, resources, establishing internships and the opportunity to do research as some of his main goals if given the position.

Doug Epperson, associate dean of liberal arts and sciences administration and chairman of the search committee for Latino Studies director said they are looking for someone who is a proven scholar, has a history of successful leadership or the promise of it, strong communication skills and the ability to work in collaboration with faculty and administration.

Rocco is also the associate director of the Center for the Study of Race, Ethnicity and Politics at UCLA.

“[Rocco] has a long and very distinguished history,” Epperson said. “He is an award-winning teacher.”

The next candidate, Michelle Habell-Pallan, associate professor of American ethnic studies at the University of Washington, will be on campus for an open forum at 4 p.m. Thursday in 1227 Hoover Hall. The final forum, featuring Loreto Prieto, professor of counseling psychology at the University of Akron, will be at 4 p.m. Monday in 204 Carver Hall.