Veishea back in action

Pat Shaver

With ISU President Gregory Geoffroy calling the comeback of Veishea a success, the general co-chairpersons for Veishea 2007 have already started brainstorming.

Veishea 2007 will serve as a kickoff to Iowa State’s bigger celebration.

“We look forward to Veishea 2007, which will serve as the kickoff for Iowa State’s sesquicentennial celebration,” Geoffroy said in a press release.

Nathaniel Johansen and Christina Dvorak, the general co-chairpersons for Veishea 2007, have already started planning for next year.

Dvorak, junior in advertising, said she would like to see more student organizations involved next year.

“If there is a club or organization that has an idea, we are more than happy to help them get involved,” she said.

Dvorak also said she looks forward to combining Veishea 2007 with Iowa State’s 150th birthday, and can build from the success sustained this year, especially with local law enforcement.

“I think that it is important to work together with law enforcement, so it’s not students against police,” Dvorak said. “I think that law enforcement did a great job this year.”

This year, between 3 p.m. April 21 and 7 a.m. April 23, there were 32 arrests, 23 citations, 12 municipal infractions and two juvenile referrals.

“We had a firm but friendly attitude when it came to enforcement,” said Ames Police Cmdr. Randy Kessel. “We had a busy spring weekend.”

In terms of improvement, Dvorak and Johansen have already started developing ideas -including showcasing each college a little more next year without straying from Veishea’s traditions.

“We want to stick to the traditions of Veishea,” said Johansen, senior in agricultural business. “We are figuring out ways to get feedback from students, faculty and community members.”

Sean Smith, sophomore in aerospace engineering, said he also thinks there should be more of an emphasis on the colleges.

“I think it would help if they had more volunteers – just to help things run smoothly,” Smith said. “I think that overall, Veishea was a big success this year.”

Heather Landwehr, junior in political science, said she recommends Veishea integrate students and professors better into campus events.

“I think they should do a version of ‘Dancing with the Stars’ except with professors – that would be fun to watch,” Landwehr said.

Eric Peterson Veishea 2006 general co-chairman and junior in agricultural business offered advice to the two new co-chairpersons, given their task at-hand.

“Never stop trying to make things better or more successful,” Peterson said. “Always keep working.”

He said he’s looking forward to what next year has to offer, especially given it’s integration with Iowa State’s birthday.

“It is going to be a great celebration,” Peterson said.