Spring events praised by Lecy and Peterson

Chris Conetzkey

After a one-year break, Veishea was back. After a weeklong celebration full of events, food and music, it concluded with the Veishea Closing Ceremonies on Sunday in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

The ceremony brought to a close a process that began back in November for the approximately 350 students who were responsible for the festivities. Nobody may have put in more effort than general co-chairpersons Jessica Lecy and Eric Peterson, who spent a combined 50 to 70 hours a week working to produce the student-led spring celebration.

“Every single second that we have been working on this has been all worth it,” Peterson said. “Just seeing the smiles of the kids at the parade, and seeing as many people that turned out for the concerts – it just makes it all worth it.”

Although it was a success in the minds of the co-chairperons, both confessed that the minute the closing ceremony was done, they were already thinking of ways to make next year’s Veishea even better.

“That’s one of the great things about Veishea is that it is a student-run celebration,” Peterson said. “Every year a new group of student leaders come in and plan it, so it creates a whole new celebration.”

Neither co-chairperson will return next year, but in looking back they agreed about the success they felt came with this year’s Veishea.

“We had tremendous participation. We had a lot of great new activities, and a lot of great old traditions,” Lecy said. “I think it was really well-received, and we were really proud of how it all turned out.”