Materials Science and Engineering marks centennial

Laura Andrews

What began as ceramics engineering a century ago has developed into high-tech materials science and engineering research.

The Materials Science and Engineering Department is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year.

“The department made tremendous technological contributions to the local ceramic industry in areas such as floor tile and wall tile,” said Mufit Akinc, professor and chair of materials science and engineering.

In 1975, the ceramics and metallurgy departments merged to become the materials science and engineering department.

The department is the smallest in the engineering college. It had its first student in 1907 and first graduate in 1910. It now averages 180 to 190 students each school year.

“Our major issue was not being known or recognized by the general public,” Akinc said. “Not just us, but the whole field.”

A major breakthrough occurred when the metallurgy department was assigned to help with the Manhattan Project in developing purified uranium for the first atomic bomb in the ’40s, Akinc said.

Lawrence Genalo, professor of materials science and engineering, said another breakthrough was the development of heat shields for NASA.

More recently, the department has been working on magnetic refrigeration to replace chlorofluorocarbon refrigerators and ceramic bone implants to replace pins and rods for broken bones. Also, a new material has been developed that is the second-hardest material known, Genalo said.

The department is also associated with the U.S. Department of Energy’s Ames Laboratory.

In the future, the department will continue to focus on teaching, research and outreach.

“We want to be one of the top 20 departments in the nation, giving the best education to students,” Akinc said. “Our student population isn’t the largest, but student and faculty quality are high.”

ISU President Gregory Geoffroy wrote a letter to the department’s faculty and staff, complimenting the department.

“Its faculty are consistently among the most productive in the university in their research and their national recognition for excellence,” Geoffroy wrote. “And its students are consistently among the highest achievers in the university.”

Students in the program usually earn favorable career offers after college.

“Students can expect a really good education and good placement in graduate school and job opportunities,” Genalo said. “Within six months of graduation, 100 percent of graduates are in graduate school or have a job.”

The theme for the centennial celebration is “Making Materials Matter for 100 years,” and some events have already been held. Upcoming events include symposia, a distinguished lecture series, an active contribution toward Veishea 2006 and a centennial celebration awards banquet in April.