GSB approves bill to hire private firm

Joe Augustin

The Government of the Student Body debated at length Wednesday over an amendment to a bill that underlined the role of a student activist group. GSB eventually decided to fund the group.

The senate approved an agreement to help ActivUs receive training to enhance its skills in empowering student activism. The debate of an amendment, however, centered around whether the group should be held accountable for participating in the newly formed strategic planning committee.

Henry Alliger, coordinator of ActivUs and senior in animal science, said that he would be happy to work with the strategic planning committee even though he only recently became aware of the committee’s existence. He also said he did not think that it was necessary to add the amendment to the bill.

Drew Larson, business senator and senior in accounting, proposed the amendment but said he did not intend for it to be viewed in a constrictive manner.

“This formalizes what we are trying to do,” Larson said. “The spirit or goal is to help GSB better serve the students and if you think of it in that light, it isn’t as scary at first glance.”

Tony Borich, ex-officio City Council representative and senior in community and regional planning, said that clarification in the bill would help to address communication problems that have occurred between GSB and ActivUs in the past.

“Inherently there has been a lack of communication between the two groups in the past because they are both trying to pursue their own goals,” Alliger said.

He added, however, he was in good faith about working with the strategic planning committee and the amendment was not necessary.

Melissa Fox, off-campus senator and senior in nutritional science, said she agreed.

Overall, the consensus of the senate was that ActivUs deserved the funding that it received in a separate funding bill.

The funding bill passed by a vote of 29-2-1 in favor of allotting $9,000 for the purpose of hiring an organizer from Student Empowerment Training Project, a private group based in Chicago that works with student groups around campus to help advance their organizing and advocacy skills.

GSB was originally looking for a graduate student to help with training, but a sufficient one could not be found to take the position.