Vilsack seeking education funds with new budget

Associated Press

DES MOINES — Gov. Tom Vilsack said Monday that his proposed budget would raise education spending to its highest level in a decade, including new spending from preschool to the universities.

Vilsack said his budget would improve student achievement, boost teacher pay and encourage small districts to consolidate and improve their curriculum.

The budget includes $40 million for the state’s three universities, which triggers a proposal from the Iowa Board of Regents to begin streamlining administration. Community colleges would get $5 million under the plan.

Vilsack is also asking lawmakers for $39.1 million to pay for an early childhood education initiative that would expand access to preschools and establish a rating system based on quality.

He is also asking for another $93.9 million increase in basic school spending, saying a 4 percent increase approved by lawmakers last week isn’t enough to improve Iowa’s schools. The money, about $190 per student, would allow schools to buy new textbooks and reduce class sizes.

Vilsack also is seeking $47 million to increase teacher pay and $6 million in grants to small districts that share services.

Vilsack took his plan to suburban Waukee High School, where he outlined the proposal to a small crowd of about 50 people with mixed reaction.

He won applause when he said the plan would reduce the number of students in special education, lead to a smarter work force and cut down on crime.

“This is an investment that makes sense,” he said.

Ed Butler, a retired school administrator from Waukee, questioned whether the plan was “expanding the public education system to 1 and 2 year olds.”

“I don’t think the state can afford that,” he told the governor.

In all, total education spending would rise from $2.89 billion to $3.06 billion under Vilsack’s budget.

Republican legislative leaders largely withheld comment on the education spending, saying they were still waiting for details.

Senate Republican President Jeff Lamberti, of Ankeny, questioned whether it was the right time to start new programs like the early child initiative.

“Is it simply just pouring more money regardless of the quality or performance? Is it tied to performance? We’ve got some ideas we want to talk about,” he said.

Lamberti said Republicans plan to unveil their own plan to increase teacher compensation, possibly as early as Tuesday.