ISU AfterDark brings “Queer Eye” star and upcoming comedian

Courtesy of SUB

Antoni Porowski is best known as one of the “Fab Five” in Netflix’s revival of “Queer Eye.”

Margaret Troup

“Queer Eye” star and chef Antoni Porowski will make an appearance at the second ISU AfterDark event of the semester.

ISU AfterDark will take place Friday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Comedian Becky Robinson will perform at 9 p.m. followed by Porowski at 11 p.m.

Porowski is known best as one of the new “Fab Five” in the Netflix revival of Bravo’s reality show “Queer Eye.” In each episode, he and his fellow hosts give contestants a total life makeover. From fashion style and personal grooming to cuisine choices, the Fab Five give advice on it all, with Porowski specializing in food and wine.

Porowski has previously appeared in director James Franco’s 2018 film “The Pretenders.” He’s also set to star in the upcoming horror film “Blood Surf,” set for release sometime later this year.

“Porowski will be doing a 20 minute cooking demonstration and a 40 minute Q&A,” said Steven Chounlamany, the special events co-director of the Student Union Board.

In the moderated Q&A, Porowski will answer attendees’ questions about “Queer Eye,” his acting career and his personal life.

SUB puts on ISU AfterDark events multiple times every semester, always looking for what’s new and upcoming. AfterDark is always planned semesters in advance, meaning SUB has to put a lot of thought into finding big acts. 

“We usually have a conversation on who the college campus would like to see in AfterDark,” Chounlamany said.

Preceding Porowski will be comedian Becky Robinson, known for her work on the MTV shows “Wildin’ Out” and “Actin’ Out,” as well as her appearance on ABC’s “The Bachelor.”

Robinson has been invited to perform her comedy routines on “Laughs” on FOX and NuvoTV’s “Cabo Comedy Festival Fresh Faces.”

In addition to her comedy résumé, she has also appeared on “The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon,” “Late Night with Seth Meyers” and “Jimmy Kimmel Live!”

ISU AfterDark events are free for all attendees. Outside of the special guests, other activities that will be available are karaoke, bowling, billiards, bingo, free Panda Express and an escape room. There will also be a Workspace Craft where you can paint your own sunburst painting.

ISU Afterdark will start at 9 p.m. and will go until 1 a.m.