Paseka named new Daily editor in chief

Amber Billings

For the first time in recent history, an ISU student will take the reigns of the Iowa State Daily for the summer, fall and spring semesters.

Nicole Paseka, junior in journalism and mass communication, said she is honored to be chosen as editor in chief, but she also acknowledged that it won’t be easy. She is currently a news assignment editor.

“The transition from my job now to management will be difficult at first,” Paseka said. “I know times won’t be easy. We’ll hopefully work out all the problems during the summer, and we can have the best paper we’ve ever had.”

A writing coach for Daily reporters will be one of the first things installed on staff, she said. The coach, which Paseka hopes will be a faculty or retired faculty member, will work part time with reporters by sitting down with them one-on-one, helping develop story ideas and critiquing their work.

She also said she would like to see the Daily continue to cover breaking news and “instill a hunger for journalism and to go out and get the story.”

Other additions to the staff will be additional senior reporter positions for the agriculture and science and technology beats, Paseka said.

“[We need them] mainly because we do specialty pages for them every week, and we’ve been weak,” she said. “We want to find students with background in the area and someone who can write objectively and intelligently.”

Paseka said she was chosen because she can get along with a wide variety of people and personalities, while also staying calm under times of stress.

“I want to listen to people right away if they’re having problems,” she said. “I want to make sure everyone enjoys their job and make sure everyone is excited about coming to work.”

Paseka said she plans on attending orientation sessions this summer to recruit and encourage incoming ISU students to join the staff.

“I think a lot of students wait until they’re in [Journalism] 201 or [Journalism] 202 [to join the Daily],” Paseka said. “There’s no reason why they can’t start working here sooner.”

Michaela Saunders, Daily news editor, said with Paseka in control, the Daily is going to continue to improve.

“She works great with people and makes them feel welcome,” Saunders said.

“I think a lot of Nicole’s personality is contagious … She has a vision of where she wants the Daily to go next.”

The first step in the process of being editor in chief, Paseka said, is pinning down job descriptions. Afterward, “I’ll start actively recruiting people,” she said.

Paseka has been at the Daily since August 2001 and served as a general assignment reporter, senior reporter covering Government of the Student Body and as assignment news editor. From May to December 2002, she was a mass communications intern at the Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation.

Paseka’s duties at the foundation included researching and writing environmental science and conservation articles and managing a public relations campaign. She has also interned at the Onawa Democrat in Onawa, Iowa, as a staff writer from August 1999 to August 2001.