Carillon concert to feature ‘festive, uplifting’ pieces

Jonathan Eyres

Hours of beautiful sounds will resonate from the Campanile this weekend during the Carillon Festival 2002.

The Stanton Memorial Carillon, located inside Iowa State’s historic Campanile, will be played by many carillonneurs on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, including special guest John Courter from Berea College in Berea, Kentucky.

Tin-Shi Tam, university carillonneur and assistant professor of music, jump-starts the festivities on Friday evening. She will present a carillon recital at 5 p.m. with several pieces by composers Phyllis Tremmel and Courter.

The pieces are festive and uplifting, Tam says.

“You can find out just how versatile the carillon can be,” she says.

The festival continues on Saturday with Courter hosting a seminar titled “Arranging and Composing for Carillon,” at 1:30 p.m. in Room 130 of Music Hall.

He will present a recital of his own at 3 p.m. featuring his songs as well as pieces from “Oklahoma” and “The Sound of Music.”

“The popular pieces will be recognized by everyone,” Tam says.

After Courter’s recital, a tour will be given of the Campanile.

At 2 p.m. on Sunday, the premiere of “Star Bells,” a musical score commissioned by the Stanton Memorial Carillon Foundation and written by professor of music Jeffrey Prater, begins the family concert. The concert will include the Central Iowa Symphony, ISU Dance and ISU student and alumni carillonneurs.

“The piece was written for the orchestra and carillon in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the Bells of Iowa State in 1999,” Tam says. “It’s a very unique piece of work because there are very few publications written for both orchestra and carillon.”

“[Star Bells] has three short movements,” Tam says. “Each movement brings out the characters of each instrument.”

“Star Bells” will be conducted by Mark Laycock, orchestra conductor and assistant professor of music.

“This piece is very exciting and well composed,” Laycock says. “The movements may be different in style but each is well-connected and provides a perfect unity.”

Conducting the piece involves some precise coordination and some technology, he says.

“We will be using live video feeds as well as audio hookups to keep the carillonneur and the orchestra together,” Laycock says.

Students from Tam’s carillon class, Music 118E, will also display their talents during the festival.

“No real experience is necessary to enroll in the class,” Tam says.

“I’ve had all kinds of students ranging from experienced piano players to those with no music background at all.”

Students will showcase during the performance of “Star Bells.”

The family concert will finish with “The Bells of Iowa State,” concluding the festival.