Kwanzaa celebration unites community

Bethany Kohoutek

Audience members at Saturday’s Kwanzaa celebration felt a wide gamut of emotions throughout the performance, but most left Fisher Theater with a sense of renewed focus and inspiration, organizers said.

Kwanzaa is a nonpolitical, nonreligious event that celebrates African-American heritage. Participants observe seven principles – unity, self-determination, collective work and responsibility, cooperative economics, purpose, creativity and faith – from Dec. 26 until Jan. 1.

During Iowa State’s Kwanzaa celebration, a child, along with his or her family, lit a candle to represent each principle. The families then talked about how they strive to incorporate the principles into their daily lives, said Shirley Basfield Dunlap, associate professor of music, who was a main organizer of the event.

After each candle had been lit, various ISU and Ames community groups staged songs, dances or spoken word readings.

The first principle of Kwanzaa, for example, is unity. TransEssence, a trio of ISU students, La`Tifini McClinton, junior in community health education, Margo Bascomb, freshman in psychology and Sydnei Harris, sophomore in psychology, sang a song to commemorate the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

“It was a tribute to Sept. 11 because it brought the nation together, and we wanted to incorporate that into Kwanzaa,” McClinton said. “It gives us a chance to reflect on our blessings and to show our respect for the nation, as well as for us.”

Kareem Dixon, senior in biology, choreographed a dance number for the second principle of self determination. He chose to use “Happy Face,” a tune by Destiny’s Child.

“When Shirley contacted me and told me to do self determination, that song was in the back of my head,” he said. “I thought it would be a good song, because no matter what obstacles you face, you put on a happy face.”

Many Kwanzaa attendees said the final performance by the Des Moines-based, award-winning Isiserettes Drill & Drum Corps was a definite highlight of the afternoon.

“They have the formation of a color guard, but they are so much more than that,” Dunlap said. “To see these kids in the formation that they do and to be so disciplined and precise was absolutely awesome and beautiful.”

During the finale, people danced in the aisles.

“We dance because it’s kind of African style in the sense that the drummers come together and everyone gets up and does the final farewell and dances with one another,” Dunlap said.

Celebrations like Kwanzaa are important to all ISU students, said Provost Rollin Richmond, who attended Saturday’s event.

“Iowa State supports diversity – cultural and ethnic – because it’s important for students who are going to function in a world that is becoming increasingly smaller in terms of travel and communications,” he said.

The performance was an elating experience, Richmond said.

“I think everyone felt very good after leaving,” he said. “One of the things they kept telling us to do was to put a smile on our faces, and I came away feeling uplifted.”