Pearson realizes his role on team is to play defense first

Paul Kix

Throw out Tyray Pearson’s 8.4 points per game last year.

Throw out his 4.4 rebounds per game.

His 15-point season high against Texas Southern.

His Tribune Cyclone Challenge All-tournament Team selection.

His status as the lone senior on this year’s team.

If Pearson doesn’t defend, ISU men’s head basketball coach Larry Eustachy says, Pearson doesn’t play.

Just like last year.

That said, Tyray Pearson spent the summer in a defensive stance moving with the offensive man in game after sweaty game of one-on-one.

“If I don’t play defense,” Pearson says, “it’s going to lead to fouling.”

Pearson motions to the Cyclones bench, adding, “Then I’m going to be there.”

He knows he’s imperative to this 2001/2002 team – a team featuring sophomores Shane Power and Jake Sullivan as go-to guys – because of his offensive efficiency.

Last year, he played just shy of 15 minutes a game.

He also made 64.5 percent of his shots from the floor – a team high.

“I focused on offense,” Pearson says of his summer ball, “[but] that wasn’t what limited me.”

What may limit him is his strength.

Though Pearson worked on it, “His strength isn’t where it should be. But it’s better,” Eustachy says.

Eustachy believes that’s because Pearson is a junior college transfer (Kankakee Community College in Illinois). The biggest jump in strength, he says, happens during the senior year, once the player’s lifted for one year under ISU’s program.

If work in the weight room and on defense pays off, Pearson could have a big year.

Kankakee produced 18 All-Americans before Pearson. But Pearson is the only one to earn the honor two years running, which is impressive because Pearson’s senior season at Hammond (Ind.) High School was the only one of organized prep basketball.

He is a senior once more, and this time “I basically just want to help new guys along. Be more of a leader,” Pearson says.

On a team filled with former walk-ons, junior college transfers, and sophomores, he’ll get plenty of chances to try.

“Leadership by committee,” Eustachy says. “Tyray will be a big part of that.”

“Tyray will be our go-to post man,” sophomore Jake Sullivan says.

At center? At power forward?

“It’s not something I worry about,” Pearson says. “Basically [those two positions] serve the same role.”

Defending the opposition’s big men is Eustachy’s and Pearson’s prerogative.

“I wouldn’t play myself if I’m not helping the team,” Pearson says.

“We’re going to guard. Five best defenders are going to play,” Eustachy says. “Tyray understands that.”