Second forum brings mixed views, emotions

Kara Kranzusch

Mixed views and emotions were displayed by students at the second campus conversation titled “After September 11: Where Do We Go From Here?” Thursday in the Memorial Union.

“I heard anger, fear and desperation from the people who were there,” said John Donaghy, campus minister at St. Thomas Aquinas Church, 2210 Lincoln Way,

During the open microphone portion of the program, students commented about the need for a response to the tragedy, but some also expressed need for an alternative to violence.

While the majority of the forum was a positive educational experience, an audience member questioned Riad Mahayni, professor and chairman of community and regional planning, with a verse from the Koran.

“One student stood up, read a verse from the Koran and asked me to explain it,” Mahayni said. “I did not care for this kind of question and considered it an attack on Islam and Muslims.”

The Koran is a composition of sacred writings accepted by Muslims as revelations made to Muhammad by Allah through the angel Gabriel.

Mahayni said he was familiar with the individual who has made past attempts to discredit the Muslim community in Ames. Despite the incident, Mahayni said he believes the forum was a valuable experience for students.

“One student called me immediately afterward and wanted to meet with me,” he said. Several other students e-mailed him commenting on the educational experience, Mahayni said.

One benefit of the second forum was the diverse expertise of the faculty and student panel, Donaghy said.

“Different people have different perspectives,” he said. “I think it was important to have these views, and that the panel included Professor Mahayni.”

Mahayni also expressed the importance of diversity.

“We must have diversity of view,” he said. “Our strength is in our diversity.”

The five-member panel included Mahayni; Mary Sawyer, associate professor of religious studies; Tracey Owens Patton, associate professor of journalism and mass communication; and Faiza Derbel, graduate student in English from Tunisia. The forum was moderated by Fern Kupfer, faculty chairwoman for the Committee on Lectures, moderated the forum.

“We need to have more forums,” Mahayni said. “People need to express their feelings, and a lot of learning takes place at forums.”

The Religious Leaders Association is planning another forum for Oct. 1 at 6 p.m. in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union. The program titled, “Where was God on September 11?” will include a panel of six to eight representatives of different religions.