Cy’s Big Top moves outside after tent topples

Andrea Hauser

Although a tent fell down, Veishea-goers still had fun at Cy’s Big Top and the Cultural Fair on central campus Saturday.

“You don’t know how many college students come in just to do these stupid little things,” said Erin Stockdill, Veishea coordinator for Cy’s Big Top and senior in animal science.

Children, parents and students walked around the different activities surrounding a tent across from Curtiss Hall. The booths were originally supposed to be set up underneath the tent, but had to move outside after the tent began to fall down due to high winds Friday night.

More than 20 student clubs and organizations set up booths for the event, providing activities such as face painting, a fish pond and a petting zoo.

“Kids are used to seeing the dog, but it seems the bunnies are the biggest hit,” said Jenny Groeltz, senior in animal ecology and member of the pre-vet med club.

The club usually includes sheep and other large animals in its zoo, she said, but were unable to this year because of foot and mouth disease concerns.

Central campus also showed Iowa State’s international influence with student booths at the Cultural Fair. Tables covered with costumes, dishes and pamphlets about different countries filled the tent, while visitors lined up to have their hands painted with henna or play the Malaysian game of Chong-Kak.

“We are trying to show them our cultures,” said Fook-Keong, junior in computer engineering from Malaysia.

Students also had the opportunity to get even at the Alpha Zeta booth. The agricultural honor society sponsored pie throwing, with eight ISU professors as targets throughout the day.

“I’m representing every professor students have wanted to do this to,” said Jim Pease, assistant professor of animal ecology, as another student stepped to the line with pie in hand. “A lot of my students came here early.”