Thousands of spectators see Veishea parade

Amber Billings

ISU alumni, family and friends turned out by the thousands at the Veishea parade Saturday.

Floats ranged from space men and rockets to ISU students playing basketball on a giant flat trailer.

Tony Luken, Government of the Student Body liberal arts and sciences senator, participated in his first Veishea by helping carry Odie for the Knapp Hall President’s Council in the parade. He said it took the group more than a half hour to inflate the balloon.

“This is really cool,” said Luken, sophomore in philosophy. “The wind is making this fun.”

Pleasing the children’s craving for candy was Vice President for Student Affairs Thomas Hill’s number one priority.

After getting out of a convertible in front of the Memorial Union, he carried his box of candy and walked further down Union Drive, wildly throwing candy.

“I ran out of candy my first year,” he said. “I promised it would never happen again.”

While kids of all ages scrambled for sweets and other goodies, their parents and grandparents sat and enjoyed the floats going by.

Muriel Gitz of Clarion, said four generations had gathered Saturday to enjoy the Cyclone spirit.

“The grandchildren, I hope, will come to Iowa State too,” she said. “This is a family get-together.”

Muriel Gitz’s daughter, Betty Gitz, said she has been to 20 Veishea parades.

“I went when my grandparents were living in Ames,” Betty Gitz said.

“I love just being here. When we arrived here, the Campanile bells were going – that’s my favorite part.”

Michelle Eppert, secretary for the ISU Foundation, was also at the parade with her five-year-old daughter, Rachel.

“Her favorite part is the candy,” she said. “My favorite part would be seeing so many people that I know and work with. And the floats are really great too.”