Splendor in the grass

Katie Goldsmith and Andrea Hauser

As the sun came out Thursday, so did ISU students.

Angie Haluska, sophomore in elementary education, and her friend Sarah Fillman, junior in transportation and logistics, sat on central campus enjoying the sunshine.

“We skipped class,” Haluska said. “Would you rather study or . be outside when it’s really nice?”

The sun was also a big attraction for David Stember, sophomore in liberal arts and sciences.

“It gives me a chance to soak up some color before summer work starts,” he said.

Jenny Wendling, sophomore in pre-advertising, said she sat on central campus for an hour and a half when she should have been at class. She said she likes seeing students enjoying the warmer weather.

“Everybody’s out doing stuff,” she said. “It’s really nice and relaxing, a stress reliever.”

However, some students had more serious things on their minds than sun and fun. Kiersten Wise, junior in plant health and protection, sat by Ross Hall and studied.

“It’s nice to have the sun out and be warm again,” she said. “It’s been such a long winter, it’s nice to be outside.”

Denomy Dage, freshman in biology, headed outside to finish her paper because she likes “not having to stay inside, getting out of the dorms [and] enjoying the fresh air.”

Students weren’t the only ones enjoying Thursday’s weather.

Bobby Vasquez, graduate student and teaching assistant for English, held his office hours under a tree by Agronomy Hall and read student papers.

“I just couldn’t do it in [my office], so instead I’m meeting with students out here,” he said. “They enjoy it, too.”

Vasquez said the weather outdoors was a nice change from being inside.

“It’s been pretty hot in my office all week,” he said.

Some students found the warm weather relaxing.

“I think it helps with the fact that it is Dead Week, but it’s harder because you don’t want to go to class,” said Genevieve Johnson, sophomore in English.

She said the warm weather kept her away from her books.

“I should be studying,” she said, “but when you try to study outside, you end up falling asleep.”