Governor appoints three new regents

Amber Billings

Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack announced Friday three new appointments to the state Board of Regents.

Amir Arbisser, Mary Ellen Becker and Sue Nieland were named to replace Regents Ellengray Kennedy, Roger Lande and Beverly Smith when their terms end May 1.

Arbisser, an ophthalmologist in Davenport, said he is looking forward to his regent term.

“Well, it’s very exciting and very daunting at the same time,” he said. “It’s exciting to have an opportunity like this, but it’s daunting because there’s a lot of work involved.”

The new appointees will be attending their first regent meeting April 18, and Arbisser said he has much to learn about the position during the next few months.

“My first goal is to learn about what the responsibilities are and their functions,” he said.

Arbisser said he has considerable experience interacting with students while serving on the Board of Trustees for Marycrest International University in Davenport and as a Princeton University recruiter in eastern Iowa and western Illinois.

Becker, who is from Oskaloosa, has served as director of special education for the Southern Prairie Area Education Agency in Ottumwa. Nieland is an antiques dealer in Sioux City.

Despite Arbisser’s position as a recruiter for an East Coast school, he said he’d like to see Iowa students take advantage of the state universities.

“I would like to find a way to move back those young people who leave our state,” he said.

Arbisser also said he is not opposed to Vilsack’s proposed budget cut of $300 million because he thought it was a practical issue.

“I think it’s reality testing,” he said. “I think society has had a few rosy years, and many have had unrealistic expectations of what may be available to them. Iowa is a state where its population is not growing by the double digits.”

Andy Tofilon, president-elect of the ISU Government of the Student Body, said he and Vice President-elect Charlie Johnson are looking forward to working with the new regents.

“We want to make sure they know that we’re there for them,” he said. “We’re more than willing to help them in any way that we can.”

Tofilon said he and Johnson will be collaborating with University of Iowa and University of Northern Iowa’s newly appointed student-government leaders to visit the new regents in their hometowns.

“It’s important to set up a good relationship with all of them, and make sure that they know we’re going to do everything we can for the students,” he said.

Tofilon also said he has known of Arbisser because they are both from Davenport.

“I know him a little bit,” he said. “I’m kind of excited – someone who’s been engaged in the community is now active at the state level.”