Block and Bridle club to hold annual auction

Kili Schwantes

The ISU Block and Bridle club is holding its fourth annual cake auction today at 5 p.m. at the Kildee Pavilion to raise funds for the Block and Bridle scholarship fund.The proceeds of the auction will be used for three $500 scholarships given to incoming freshmen or transfer students entering the College of Agriculture, said Dawn Edler, senior in animal science. “It’s a great way to involve students in the department of animal science and the College of Agriculture, and because we always need scholarships,” said Eric Hoiberg, associate dean of agriculture for state and academic programs.More than $3,000 was raised at last year’s cake auction, Edler said. Bids at the cake auction last year ranged from $50 to $400.”They [auctions] have all been successful, and each year they’ve gotten better,” she said. The cakes were made by students and faculty. Everyone is welcome to attend and make bids, said Gene Rouse, club adviser and professor of animal science.The award ceremony for the cakes will be held at 4:30 p.m., and will judged for best club theme, best faculty/staff, most creative and best overall.Hoiberg expects just as many imaginative themes to appear this year as last year. “There were some very fun and humorous ones,” he said. “I’m just expecting the sky to be the limit.”Hoiberg is one of two judges at today’s action. The other judge is Nick Berry, senior in animal science.The ISU Block and Bridle club is a member of a national organization, Elder said. It sponsors livestock shows, fund-raisers and contests for high school students in the 4-H clubs and educates its members about leadership roles in the farming and meat industries.