Seniors prepare for graduation

Katie Robb

Seniors are beginning to prepare for their final days at Iowa State.Graduating seniors will soon be receiving letters regarding their applications, which were due the first week of classes.”We’re working through the graduation applications now, and notifying students by mail if everything’s OK or if they need to work something out with their adviser,” said Susan Maysent, records analyst for records and registration.The nearly 3,000 graduating seniors still have time before they need to worry about caps and gowns, Maysent said.”We plan a grad fair each semester,” said Lynette Seymour, general manager of University Book Store. “This year it’s March 20 and 21. It’s an opportunity for seniors to purchase caps and gowns and order their announcements.”Seymour said several hundred students are expected to attend the grad fair. The fair signifies the kickoff for cap and gown season, with students choosing to purchase their graduation attire anytime between the fair and the week of graduation.”We have a lot of people here to help students get ready for their special day,” she said. “We have pre-engraving for gifts for friends, representatives from the carved ring company and framing companies for diplomas.”Most of the items ordered at the fair have a fast turnaround, so students can receive their announcements and gifts promptly, Seymour said.”Proper etiquette dictates that announcements should go out between four and six weeks before graduation,” she said. Seymour said students ordering their announcements at the grad fair should have no trouble getting them out on time.In addition to sending in their applications and purchasing caps and gowns, seniors must also make plans for after graduation.”I’m applying to grad school,” said Kristin Lewis, senior in liberal studies. “Applications are due in a few weeks.”Lewis expressed concern over getting into graduate school but said she is ready to graduate.”It’s sad to leave Iowa State, but it’s time to move on,” she said.Some seniors have yet to make definite post-graduation plans but are not letting the uncertainty detract from their accomplishment.”It’s a monumental right of passage,” said Nikki Randall, senior in child and family services. “I’ll be the first in my immediate family to graduate, so for us it’s really a big deal.”Although seniors may have mixed emotions about leaving, most are looking forward to the possibilities are ahead of them.”Everyone has a story to tell, and everyone’s always excited,” Seymour said. “It’s so much fun to see them come in and buy their college tassels. It’s just a really exciting time.”