Rodeo Club’s Cowboy Ball to feature auction, dancing

Brian Stillman

It’s time to polish up the boots, straighten the hat and shine the belt buckle for the annual ISU Rodeo Club’s Cowboy Ball this Saturday.The club’s annual fund-raising ball will be held from 8 p.m. to midnight Saturday in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union, said Megan Redfern, club chairwoman.The evening will include a social hour from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m., during which the club will name its outstanding freshman/transfer student of the year as well as the group’s outstanding senior award, said Redfern, senior in agricultural business.The ball will include a silent auction from 8 p.m. until 11 p.m., and the dance will run from 9 p.m. until midnight. “Items up for sale on the silent auction include rodeo banners, print art-work and donations from local businesses,” Redfern said. An added bonus to the silent auction is the opportunity for attendees to bid for a slave-for-a-day or a dance partner for a song.Buyers of the slave-for-a-day receive eight hours of manual or physical labor from a rodeo club member, said Jim Seevers, sophomore in agronomy and volunteer slave-for-a-day.”I’m excited about the experience but a little nervous at the same time,” he said.Those interested in hitting the dance floor with one of the club members will also have the chance to bid for a dance partner for a song. Ann Witt, this year’s recipient of the National Cattlemen’s Association Top Hand award, is one of the club members who is up for bid. “The dance is for a good cause, and it will be a good time,” said Witt, sophomore in animal science.Tickets will be available at the door at a cost $8 per couple or $6 per person. Tickets are also available in advance at a dollar discount by e-mailing [email protected].