IRHA will aim to increase student involvement on campus this semester

Amber Billings

With a new semester ahead of them, representatives of the Inter-Residence Hall Association are working to increase student involvement on campus.Paul Duncan, IRHA president, said the group has been working with the Department of Residence to form a variety of conferences for students in the residence halls.”This past semester, we have focused primarily on making IRHA a more efficient and effective government,” Duncan said. “We will continue to make strides in this direction, but we will start to focus more on leadership and involvement.”IRHA will also continue its work in making online voting available for this semester’s executive election. IRHA Vice President Steve Skutnik said he’d like to see the next election commissioner put online voting into effect.”[The Government of the Student Body] paid for a Web voting code to be developed,” he said, “but we can rent it from the Computation Center.”Veishea is another activity the residence halls are putting effort into. Duncan said students have shown “considerable interest” in IRHA sponsoring floats from residence hall groups.Richardson Court Association President Andy Walling helped RCA pair up with Phi Delta Theta fraternity, 2035 Sunset Drive, and Chi Omega sorority, 227 Gray Ave. This will be the first pairing of a residence hall association with the greek community for Veishea.”I feel that there is a lot of potential here with all the combined man power,” Walling said. “It’s been a really good experience, and it’s something to build off of for next year.”While a Veishea float may be a new project for RCA, it is not the first residence hall group to be involved in the festivities. The Union Drive Association has been participating in the Veishea parade for the past 20 years with floats from two Friley Hall houses.”Veishea is quickly approaching, and Noble house will be proudly displaying their floats,” said Rick Cordaro, UDA president.In addition to Veishea, Duncan said IRHA will also be paying attention to Residence Hall Week, an annual celebration from April 2-8. The week will include a variety of activities in the residence halls such as the Towers Residence Association’s Extravaganza on April 7.”Residence hall students will not only gain tangible value from their IRHA dues, but they will also be able to have a great time enjoying the festivities it has to offer,” Duncan said.