YMCA celebrates 150th anniversary

Brian Stillman

YMCAs across America are celebrating a major milestone this year. The organization, which was founded in 1851, is celebrating its 150th anniversary.The Ames-ISU YMCA is also taking part in the national celebration and encourages anyone who is interested in the organization to join the festivities. “We welcome all students to come and participate in our activities on campus and throughout the community,” said Matt Lischer, ISU-YMCA public relations coordinator.The local YMCA offers programs to help serve the community as well as the needy countries around the world. One of these is the YPALS program, designed to pair ISU students with Story County youth to provide an opportunity for children to learn through a friendly relationship outside the home. The students are not only a role model for the child, but also a tutor or companion, said Lischer, sophomore in pre-journalism and mass communication. “We currently have 30 to 40 students participating in YPALS and are always happy to have new people express interest in the program,” he said.Another program the organization offers to ISU students is the Alternate Spring Break program. This program provides the opportunity for ISU students to spend their spring break helping those less fortunate in other countries. Last year, the group traveled to Guatemala and aided in the rebuilding of the small community of Los Pocitos, said Phil Greco, ISU-YMCA president. “The Alternate Spring Break is a great chance for students to participate in the world community and give some time back to those less fortunate and in need,” said Greco, sophomore in mechanical engineering. An average of 10 to 15 students make the trip each year to provide their services. Along with construction projects the group also helps in soup kitchens and community shelters, as well as providing basic supplies such as toothbrushes and toothpaste, he said.On the local level, the organization also provides high- and low-impact water aerobics for the elderly community, Lischer said.The organization, which is student-funded, is very grateful to the ISU community for the ability to provide these services, Greco said. “We are really fortunate for the opportunity and resources to provide these programs and make a difference in the community and around the world,” he said.