Council looks for public opinion on projects

Katie Robb

The Ames City Council is seeking public opinion on three proposed projects costing more than $32 million. Members of the Ames community will have an opportunity to speak to council members during its meeting tonight from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. “We will be taking public input on the three major capital projects we’ve been discussing this fall,” said Herman Quirmbach, fourth ward council member. The projects include developing Hallett’s Quarry into an open space area, a new recreation and aquatic complex and building a third fire station east of the intersection on South Duff Avenue and Airport Road, Quirmbach said. The fire station located on Welch Avenue would move near the intersection of North Dakota Avenue and Delaware Avenue.Judie Hoffman, at-large city council member, said the presentation of the costs, benefits and necessity of each project will determine the public’s response to them. “To finance the projects, we must have citizen approval of the bonds,” she said. The aquatic and recreation center to be located at the Gateway Hills site would cost about $24.1 million, the quarry and open space program would be about $6.4 million, and the fire station would cost about $2.2 million, she said.Hoffman said she does not think cost will be the determining factor in the public’s response. “There are a lot of strong supporters of the aquatic center. The other pools in the area are very old and much beyond their expected life span,” she said.All three proposed projects would benefit ISU students, Hoffman said. “The aquatic center would offer a lot to students. It includes gymnasium space for basketball and in-line floor hockey, as well as a lot of other things college students enjoy doing,” she said. Hoffman said the open space project would also offer benefits to students. “The quarry would provide good water quality and a park,” she said. “It’s the largest body of water in the area.”Hoffman said the additional fire station would also provide increased response time to students as well as Ames residents in case of emergency.The projects will not be voted on before spring, Hoffman said.