Union vending funds minority scholarship

Valerie Dennis

Some students are getting more from the vending machine than a quick energy fix.Memorial Union Vending donated $8,000 to the ISU Minority Student Endowment on Dec. 1. This is the third contribution the vending service has made, said Kathy Svec, marketing coordinator for the Union.The Union received the vending contract in 1996 and felt they should give something back to ISU students, Svec said.Money donated by the Memorial Union Vending will go to an endowment that will be used to form a new scholarship, said Thomas Hill, vice president for Student Affairs. The scholarship will be created when the endowment is self-sustaining.”There isn’t enough money in the endowment currently,” he said. “We hope to get enough money to get it going to continue in the future. We need to have enough money so that the fund can generate the amount given to students every year.”Contributions are based on revenue generated, Svec said. She said the contributions started when vending services first gave money, and Hill suggested the endowment.”We feel that every bit counts,” Svec said. “We hope this means that someone who was not able to pay their own way can attend Iowa State because of our assistance.”While there are already many scholarships available, Hill said they are always looking for more. “We have a growing number of minority students at ISU, so the demand is up for minority scholarships,” Hill said.Svec said she thinks it is important to give something back to the students, who are vending service’s primary customers.”We want to support students the way they support us,” she said. “We are very sincere about contributing to the scholarship fund, so we do what we are able to. We hope to give enough to help the fund.”Hill also said the Union’s contribution will set an example for other donors.”It’s a fantastic thing the Union is doing by giving something back to the student body and making opportunities happen for student,” he said. “The Union is committed to helping us by donating again, and I hope others follow their example.” Svec said students should be aware where their money is going when they buy something from the vending machines.”We are pleased to support students,” she said. “We hope the vending customers appreciate some of their money going to a fund like this, and realize they are supporting a good cause.”