Animals abound in student art exhibit

Jamin Buntenbach

Many animals are roaming the Memorial Union Gallery.

The “Studies in Creativity” student exhibition contains images of turtles, horses, elephants and other animals. A student show featuring painting, drawing, calligraphy and photography, “Studies in Creativity” is currently on display at the Memorial Union.

“People make art that are not art majors,” said Theresa Cannon, program adviser for the arts at the Memorial Union. “The show is open to all students of any major.”

The exhibit was juried by local Ames artist Chris Cowen. Her portfolio can be seen at Gallery 319 in downtown Ames.

“I was looking for pieces which the student displayed expert control of the media they were using and the emotional impact,” said Cowen, who selected 45 pieces out of 185 entries.

The best of show was awarded to John Anderson’s “Wait.” It is an image of a man inside a cafe looking out a window at a woman who is seen in a reflection in the glass.

“‘Wait’ was chosen for its contemplative nature in how we wait in relationships,” Cowen said. “It is a statement we can all relate to.”

Merit awards were given to Nate Jensen’s piece, “Time,” and Kate Roethler’s “Pieces of an Angel,” a charcoal drawing. Honorable mentions were awarded to Alesa Jensen’s untitled monoprint and Laurel Sink’s “Sea Turtle.”

“Time” is a graphite drawing of a young man in different stages of his life. A younger boy stands in the lower right corner with arms folded while an older version stands muscular and carrying tires.

“Pieces of an Angel” displays excellent control of the charcoal technique, Cowen said. Across the realistically detailed images of paint brushes, candles feathers and buttons, the piece reads, “Don’t be afraid of the dark.”

“There is more to art than being a good technician in the media,” Cowen said. “The work must go beyond the command of the medium to communicate ideas or emotions.”

“Art is very contemplative,” she added.

Alesa Jensen’s untitled monoprint is an image of a tree with falling leaves which uses flowing line and variety in layering of color.

Sink’s “Sea Turtle” is an oil pastel drawing that contains many rich colors. The colors activate the image of the turtle that appears to be swimming underwater with vibrant color.

An image that did not contain animals was Emily Schrad’s “Industrial Site (Ready Mix).” Schrad’s piece used watercolor washes, integrating the watercolor with colored pencil.

“I believe that each piece that got in the show was of high caliber,” Cowen said.

The show is on display until Dec. 11.