Strategic plan to create better campus facilities

Bill Tsoulos

The university’s updated master plan for developing the campus, which was approved by the Board of Regents in October, aims to improve learning through the facilities on campus.

“We feel pretty good about this plan, and the Board of Regents have accepted this plan, and they feel that it coincides with the strategic plan,” said Warren Madden, vice president for Business and Finance.

The plan addresses three goals: learning, discovery and engagement.

Madden said these goals were taken into mind seriously during the development of the Master Plan. He said the plan aims to implement these goals by creating better facilities for learning, creating a better traffic flow to keep the campus mainly pedestrian and to preserve to the open spaces on campus.

There is a long list of buildings, either in planning or design stages, that include the Honors Building, the Union Drive Association suite building and food service and a new campus daycare facility.

“We feel that we are on course to make progress with all of this,” Madden said. “I have been here since its development in 1991, and it has served ISU well. It has provided an excellent road map for the university’s development.”

The master plan also deals with the residence halls. Plans for many changes are underway within the residence halls, said Randy Alexander, director of residence.

“Our goal is to provide students with attractive housing options,” Alexander said. The suite housing facility that will be open in fall 2002 will be aimed toward freshman and sophomore students, and a new dining facility will open in fall of 2003.

“We want to provide housing that appeals to a broad range of students not just freshman,” Alexander said.

He also said there is a possibility of remodeling one of the Towers Residence Association residence halls to make it an all-singles building available to upperclassmen.

With the first steps of the plan already behind them, administrators are looking ahead to budgeting the new projects.

“The regents’ acceptance of the plan in October means we will keep moving ahead with the implementation of the plan as funds become available,” Madden said.