Second LAS week starts Monday

Jessica Kalahar/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State has pledged to raise $415,000 for the LIVE UNITED campaign for 2015. On top of the United Way’s annual Day of Caring, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences will be holding an online auction this year to raise money.

Jessica Kindschi

The second-ever College of Liberal Arts and Sciences week kicks off Monday.

The spring semester of 2018 was the first LAS week, bringing opportunities to the college in regards to research, keynote speakers and networking opportunities.

To celebrate LAS, there are three major events taking place this week.

First, there will be a breakfast kickoff from 7:30 to 9 a.m. Monday in Troxel Hall, according to the LAS week itinerary.

The kickoff provides students with breakfast pizza, fruit, a t-shirt, information about the rest of LAS week and the opportunity to talk with current LAS staff members.

Tuesday, there will be an Alumni mixer from 12:30 to 2 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. The mixer provides students the opportunity to mingle with staff and alumni to prepare for the career fair the following day.

According to the LAS website, students will work in small groups with alumni based on similar interests and career goals. 

A research fair will take place in the atrium of Hach Hall from 2 to 5 p.m. Thursday.

This research fair allows undergraduate and graduate students to present their research to students and faculty. There will also be a table of experts to provide tips on preparation for graduate school.

“I am excited about the research fair, it is a great opportunity [for students to have] graduate school preparation,” said Alexxa Blair, senior in political science and one of two co-chairs of LAS week. “[It is also] a good opportunity for students to learn about future research opportunities.”

The fair will consist of 20 to 30 students presenting research they have been working on in different departments.

Beyond the three main events, there will also be keynote lectures, informal department mixers and two major career fairs, as well as other department planned events.

“Come to the planned events,” Blair said. “There is a big misconception about events on campus and students attending. These are meant to be helpful. We planned them to be beneficial to the students. [They provide] great networking opportunities this close to the career fair.”