Four-year program has low enrollment

Nina Fox

Iowa State is working to increase participation in a four-year program for students comparable to the University of Iowa’s program, which has considerably higher participation.

Beverly Madden, director of career planning and placement, said 4,354 freshman enrolled at Iowa State this year, of which about 140 enrolled in the program that is designed to help students graduate in four years.

“The number has been going up each year since the program started, which can be attributed to the improvement of the program,” she said.

While the numbers have stayed at a steady and even rate for Iowa State, the University of Iowa has had a very different experience.

U of I Registrar Jerald Dallam said 48 percent of entering freshmen enrolled in the four-year program when it first began. Percentages continued to increase during the second and third years of the program, hitting a record high last year with 69 percent of the 2,473 students enrolled in the freshman class.

“What we tell students and parents at orientation is that it is a guarantee that students will graduate in four years,” Dallam said. “It’s a university commitment as long as they hold up their end of the bargain.”

While the participation numbers have shown dramatic increases, Dallam said the program has essentially stayed the same since it began.

“We’re always looking at ways to improve, but the numbers we’ve seen seem to speak for themselves,” he said. “It’s great to help the student keep focused in a timely way.”

Madden said she thinks Iowa State is not doing enough with the four-year program.

“We put together an ad hoc task force to represent different colleges and revise the plan,” Madden said. “As a result, we’re using the plan as an advising tool for students.”

Madden said it is important for undergraduate students to recognize that there are a lot of things they can accomplish while working toward a degree.

“We’re here to provide a student plan, and they can fill in the blanks,” she said. “We’re making it a challenge for students and challenging students to take the responsibility.”

Madden said she expects the number of students who enroll in the four-year plan to increase this year and in the future due to the number of changes that have been made to the plan.

“We’re focusing on the student and showing them that a four-year college career is attainable without losing out on internships, study-abroad programs and activities,” Madden said.

Kate Claassen, senior in management information systems, said she has found the program to be helpful in aiming toward a four-year graduation date.

“I think the big advantage is being assured that they will get you in all of your classes or else find an alternative way,” she said.

Claassen said the program helped her when she was unable to fit an MIS class into her schedule but instead was able to enroll in a different class that would still count toward her degree.

“People who aren’t in the program might suffer and just figure they’ll have better luck getting into classes the next semester, but it might throw off their schedules,” Claassen said. “But for me, it has been a big accomplishment to graduate in four years, especially since many people are going five or six.”

Like the University of Iowa, Iowa State will always have a large percentage of students who graduate in four years without the help of the program, but Madden said there are still advantages for students enrolled in it.

“Students are saving money, getting into the courses they need and establishing a stimulating academic focus while keeping a goal in mind,” she said.

Kara Breitbach, freshman in pre-business, said the program helped her in a variety of ways.

“It has helped me feel better and made me more organized as far as my classes,” she said.

Breitbach said although she has not seen any immediate effects, she thinks the program will be an advantage in the future.

“I think I will be more focused and have more direction,” she said.