Iverson encourages involvement in politics

Kallie Miller

Stewart Iverson, the state senate majority leader, emphasized the need for student participation in politics as he spoke at Theta Xi fraternity.

Theta Xi members and executive officers from other greek houses were given special invitation last week to the dinner and reception for Sen. Iverson, R-Dows.

Iverson addressed a group of about 40 ISU students and Ames citizens Thursday with an after-dinner reception at the house, 315 Welch Ave., where he fielded questions and led a discussion on a wide range of issues and policies.

Iverson stressed the importance of young voters taking an active part in the political process.

“Our younger generation should take an active interest in not just voting but in being aware of what’s happening,” he said. “We have some real problems with apathy right now.”

He said students are following a societal trend away from politics. “We as a society need to become more involved with the political process,” Iverson said.

Interested students and citizens raised questions and concerns about the future of Iowa business and industry, abortion, education, agriculture, government programs, budgeting, third-party candidates and inside thoughts on the Republican party itself.

Although Iverson said he does not have plans for the senatorial election in 2002, he hinted at possibly running for governor.

“He certainly is a strong prospect for the Republican party gubernatorial candidate in 2002,” said Joel Oswald, sophomore in pre-business. Oswald also is a clerk for Sen. Steve King, R-Kiron.

Iverson said senators rely on lobbyists to see both sides of an issue because it is hard to stay informed and up-to-date in all issues around the state. He said he is strongly in favor of not allowing gun control to get out of hand because he said the state already has enough regulation policies in place.

Iverson is a long-time resident of Dows, where he has farmed for more than 20 years, he said.

Bill Ogier, president of Theta Xi, said he was pleased with the participation and interest taken by house members.

“We try to have a speaker every week to expand the knowledge and awareness of our members,” said Ogier, senior in computer engineering. “It’s good to get some positive publicity for the house. Also, it’s important to get brothers involved.”