Campus tour features D & D

Valerie Dennis

ISU students will have a chance to let their imaginations run wild today on central campus.

Dungeons and Dragons, a popular game from the late 1970s and early 1980s, is making a comeback with a college campus tour, said Marty Molloy, accounting executive for the event’s coordinator, Guild Group. The tour will be making a stop at Iowa State from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. today south of the Campanile.

Attractions will include an information tent featuring storytellers, people demonstrating the game, role playing and interactive computer games, said Jason Meacham, Ames Science Fiction and Fantasy Association president.

Molloy said the Midwest has the most appeal for role-playing games such as Dungeons and Dragons and the group is going to campuses with large communities of active gamers.

“We want to put a new spin around that game,” he said. “We want to emphasize all the pluses of the game.”

Molloy said when the game first came out 20 years ago, many didn’t understand it, and rumors began to develop. Since many people fear the game, he said he wants to raise awareness.

“We want to show that the game is a social event,” he said. “Lots of people don’t know the idea of the game; we encourage people to check it out because it’s very user-friendly.”

Ames Science Fiction and Fantasy Association is sponsoring the event. Meacham, senior in management information systems, said he hopes people look at the game objectively.

“Dungeons and Dragons allows players to think outside of what can and can’t be done,” he said. “Most people are negative about D & D, but hopefully the tour will open people’s eyes about it and allow them to look at the game objectively. It’s a lot better hobby to do on the weekends than many college students participate in.”

During the event there will be games for sale, with proceeds going to the science fiction club, Molloy said. There will also be registration for a week-long trip for two to castles in Ireland, Scotland and England.

“The game is something everyone can enjoy if they take the time to find out about it,” Meacham said. “It promotes being able to think on one’s feet.”

The Guild Group acts as a promotional agency for Wizards of the Coast, which recently bought Dungeons and Dragons, Molloy said. He said the company plans to schedule other tours for the game, along with a movie about the game and more editions.