Panel discusses court decision

Amber Billings

As a Boy Scout, Jeremy Hayes pledged to live a life full of morality and honesty. However, due to a U.S. Supreme Court decision earlier this year, he may not be able to hold a leader position because of his sexual orientation.

Hayes, president of the ISU Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally Alliance, spoke at a panel discussion Monday with Iowa Civil Liberties Union representative Ben Stone. They discussed the impact of the Boy Scouts of America vs. James Dale case in which the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 to bar homosexuals from holding leadership positions.

“Dale had been a Boy Scout for many years and held a leadership position,” Stone said. “While at college, he was identified in the student newspaper as gay. He later received a letter which said he was being expelled as a Scout leader without explanation.”

The Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Boy Scouts’ First Amendment right of freedom of association, and Stone said “the Boy Scouts could then freely associate with people of similar viewpoints.”

Barbara Mack, associate professor of journalism and mass communication, moderated the panel, which she said wanted to represent both opinions of the case. However, opposing sides declined to participate.

“Repeated attempts were made to get an official spokesman for the Boy Scouts and the United Way,” she said. “Both agencies declined.”

Hayes, an Eagle Scout, said he has been involved with his Boy Scout troop since he was 8 years old in his hometown in South Carolina; he now serves as a Scout master.

He said he might not be able to hold the position much longer.

“I don’t know if I’ll be in [Boy Scouts] after speaking here today,” said Hayes, junior in management information systems.

Being in Boy Scouts, Hayes said, has helped form him into the person he is today, but he said the Supreme Court decision is interfering with some of the Boy Scout laws, such as being trustworthy, friendly and courteous.

“The Boy Scouts have been very influential,” he said. “It teaches a lot of values that are important and aren’t discriminatory, but this current policy seems conflicting.”

Stone said the issue of homosexuals in Boy Scouts had been unheard of until the Supreme Court case.

“The five members of the court just wanted to find a way to maintain heterosexism,” he said.

“It’s an irrational fear that [the homosexual leaders] would be pedophiles. No one knew this organization had this fear of homosexuals until this case came up.”

Hayes said while growing up, the Boy Scouts provided him with friendship and mentors, but he said he never felt comfortable because he was struggling to find himself.

“During the time I was a youth member, I was trying to find my sexuality, and I didn’t find any support,” he said. “No one was openly gay and also a positive role model in Boy Scouts.”

In the Boy Scout leader description, Hayes said they are barred from discussing personal issues, which he said makes a leader’s sexuality irrelevant.