Burger is `Cy’s Favorite Alum’

Katie Robb

For his contributions to ISU athletics, Stewart Burger has been named the 2000 “Cy’s Favorite Alum” by the ISU Department of Intercollegiate Athletics.

“The award is given annually to an individual or couple whose accomplishments and contributions have earned them special distinction,” said Tom Kroeschell, director of athletic media relations. “People given this distinction have provided the highest level of assistance to the athletic department.”

Kroeschell said the award has been in existence since 1955 and has honored people in many positions who have made unique and valuable contributions to the university.

Burger, service director of the campus dining service, manages all campus halls, the Memorial Union food service, Scheman food service, campus vending, campus catering and the residence hall C-stores.

“I came to Iowa State in 1970 and got my master’s in hotel, restaurant and institution management in 1972,” Burger said. “I haven’t left since.”

Burger said he became interested in the university food service field through his work as a graduate assistant with the residence department. Since holding that position, he has worked in various positions at Linden and Friley dining halls, as well as serving as the director of residence hall dining before accepting his current position.

“I’ve had the privilege of working with students and athletes for many years. It’s exciting to see the teams improve,” he said.

Karen Miskell Larson, residence catering coordinator, has worked with Burger for 25 years. She said he is hard-working, loyal and dedicated to Iowa State.

“I can’t imagine working for anyone else,” she said. “He’s my friend as well as my director. He works hard to make this department the best he can make it.”

Larson said it is appropriate that Burger won this award.

“The athletic program is one of his favorite groups,” she said. “They make him feel like a part of the family.”

Burger said he was surprised and delighted to be chosen to receive the award.

“I’m proud of all the athletic department has accomplished, and it’s great to be recognized by them,” he said.

In addition to his work in the food service department, Burger also serves as an adjunct assistant professor in the Department of Hotel, Restaurant and Institution Management.