Criminal Justice Club returns to ISU

Valerie Dennis

ISU students can hone their detective skills with the revival of the Criminology Club on campus. The Criminal Justice Club is starting up after a two-year break, said Matt Delisi, club adviser and assistant professor of sociology. “I am a new hire this year, and the Criminal Justice Club is something that I wanted to see revived,” Delisi said. “When I was an undergrad in college, I had a sparked interest in criminal justice, and a professor gave me access into the system. I want to give students the same opportunity to explore criminal justice that I had.” Club President Jennifer Falta said the club has a variety of activities planned. Falta, junior in sociology, said these include field trips, guest speakers and movies. Delisi said he has a few goals for the club which he hopes will help sustain it this time around. “The club hopes to aid in career development for students interested in criminal justice and recruit more students into the minor,” he said. “The club allows students to explore their interests in criminal justice and criminology and allows them to interact with students of similar interests at Iowa State.” Falta said the club is good for criminal justice students to further their education. “The club allows people to know what’s out there for them,” Falta said. “It gives people a better understanding of what they need to get a job, and those that aren’t sure to find their niche in criminal justice.” Club Vice President Katie Downs said the club is a positive outlet for those interested in the area. “The club is a place to learn about opportunities open to criminal justice minors,” said Downs, freshman in sociology. “Students can start networking and finding contacts for internships and jobs.” Delisi said the club has a good chance of survival this time around. “I think that the club could really grow,” Delisi said. “I would like it to pick up enough momentum to be self-sustaining, and I think that can happen once the club gets going.”