IRHA members to propose changes to storage policy

Amber Billings

Members of the Inter-Residence Hall Association have formed a committee to present changes some students would like to see in the residence hall storage policy to the Department of Residence . The policy, which was changed this summer, allows two students living in a double room to store chairs, compacted boxes, bed frames and legs. In a double-as-single room, any extra university-issued items can be stored, such as furniture, shelving and the extra mattress. Mattresses belonging to a double room cannot be stored because it has been declared a fire hazard. Jeff Greiner, committee member and Union Drive Association vice president, and he said the policy is more specific than last year’s policy. “You could basically store anything you wanted in the storage spaces,” he said. “It was up to your hall director or resident assistant what you could store. Now they have this blanket policy.” Richardson Court Association At-Large Chris Knight said he began questioning students at the beginning of the year on how they felt about the new policy. Knight said there should have been some student input on the policy, which was drawn up by the Department of Residence over the summer. “[The Department of Residence] didn’t go through IRHA last year,” Knight said. “We should have had a little bit of say as to what went in the policy.” Associate Director of Residence Virginia Arthur said the committee that changed the policy over the summer did ask for student input. “I think that the committee did a good job conversing with its constituents over the summer,” she said. Knight said he has talked to more than 200 people in RCA and asked for a committee to help him represent the students and speed up the process of changing the policy. “People aren’t really being convinced that [IRHA is] representing them,” he said. “I want to represent the people.” Knight said the committee would like to see individualized policies, which would have different rules for each residence hall instead of a blanket policy. “Halls have different requirements, and there needs to be customizations,” Knight said. “Students are upset about [the policy], and RAs don’t really care for it.” Nathan Ashmore, resident of Roberts Hall, said he strongly disapproves of the new storage policy. “It’s inconvenient for people who bring in their own desks and chairs and have to find places to store the old desks and chairs,” said Ashmore, sophomore in materials engineering. “It’s a pain because it’s hard to find places to put them because we are restricted from putting them in storage.” Arthur said students should realize they cannot store everything they want in the residence halls. “I think part of the problem is that, ideally, they’d like to store as much as they want however they want,” she said. “The reality is that we have limited space.” Arthur said she would be willing to see what the committee comes up with, as long as members present a solution instead of just suggestions. “They need to address how we’re going resolve the issue,” she said.