ClubFest offers options for all

Valerie Dennis

Thousands of students filled the Great Hall of the Memorial Union Wednesday as they checked out Iowa State’s annual ClubFest.

About 5,000 students attended ClubFest to learn about the 160 ISU clubs represented at the event, said Laura Bestler-Wilcox, program coordinator for the Memorial Union.

Bestler-Wilcoxsaid ClubFest is an excellent tool for recruiting people.

“ClubFest is a fantastic success,” she said. “It gives students a great opportunity to find out more information about at least 160 clubs available to them. Face-to-face interaction is very important because there is so much technology out there today.”

Erin Stockdill, Student Alumni Association committee member, said she thinks ClubFest is a good tool for student recruitment into clubs.

“A lot of people are coming to the festival to get more involved at ISU,” said Stockdill, junior in animal science.

Along with club tables at the event, some groups also had demonstrations throughout the day to promote their club further.

Adam Brown, director of daytime programs for Student Union Board, said clubs with demonstrations get a good response from students.

“The demonstrations went really well. I’m really excited about how they turned out,” said Brown, senior in biology and Spanish. “I couldn’t believe the number of people watching the demonstrations. Everyone kept asking about the clubs performing; the demos are definitely a good outlet.”

“I am really pleased with the turnout [Wednesday],” Stockdill said. “I think it’s good to have a large variety of clubs. No two people have the same interests and this event caters to everyone.”