Pets invade old RCA

Katie Boes

Cockroaches, centipedes and other pests are invading dorms in the old Richardson Court Association, residents said. Gerrett Frehse, resident of Lindstrom House in Birch Hall, said two to three nights a week, he and his roommate find a centipede on the ceiling. “We take turns spraying on the Raid, and when it falls, we put it in a pizza box,” said Frehse, freshman in pre-business. Dan McCabe, senior in art and design, said he discovered a mouse scampering behind his desk on Ayers House in Welch Hall, and he proceeded to chase it out of his room. Mark Lehan, sophomore in pre-business, said he saw a dead cockroach in the shower in Birch Hall that was so big he thought it was a mouse. These invasions are not unusual for the season, said Harry Moore, manager of the Service Center. “Large numbers of pests are pretty common for this time of year,” Moore said. “Spiders, bugs and mice will try to come into the warm indoors.” Nick McKenna, resident assistant for Lindstrom House in Birch Hall, said he has received complaints and has seen cockroaches. He said the pest problems are escalated by construction in tunnels beneath the Birch-Welch-Roberts Residence Halls. “It drives the pests out,” said McKenna, sophomore in animal science. He said he has reported the incidents to the resident hall janitorial staff, and the reports eventually are directed to the university’s pest control private contractor, ABC Pest Control. They perform routine maintenance procedures and respond to specific cases weekly. Lindstrom Hall will be treated this week. Despite the nuisances, McKenna said the problem is under control. “They do a pretty good job of taking care of the issue at hand quickly,” he said. McKenna was involved with the bat invasion of BWR that occurred at the beginning of the semester. He said the problem was taken care of immediately, and no incidences of bats have been reported since. While students share their homes with the unwelcome visitors, they keep their sense of humor about the pests. “We deal with it,” Frehse said. “Besides, it’s kind of nice having pets around.”