Veishea planners work to meet ‘multicultural’ goals for 2000

Valerie Dennis

As the new semester begins, many student groups and organizations pick up where they left off, including the Veishea planning committee. Members are back again and planning for another spring celebration.

Right now, the committees are continuing where they left off in December, said Justin Chesnut, Veishea general co-chairman.

The executive board for Veishea and most committees meet once a week, said Justin Wilhelm, Veishea general co-chairman.

“Last semester, the committees made initial contacts with possible entertainers, groups and performers, started lining up opening and closing speakers, and notified organizations at Iowa State to see if they were interested in being a part of the open house or parade,” said Chesnut, senior in agricultural systems technology.

Wilhelm, senior in mechanical engineering, said the preliminary foundation was laid last semester, and the committees will continue from there. He said the committees hope to have plans finalized in about four to six weeks.

“The planning of Veishea is coming along quite well,” said Brooke Doering, Veishea public relations director and junior in journalism and mass communication. “It is running smoothly. There are many young people involved with the planning. Because of this, it is possible to bring in new ideas and a freshness to Veishea.”

The schedule for Veishea is unknown at this time, said Tom Duncan, entertainment co-chairman of Veishea. The specific acts and events will be announced in mid- to late February.

However, “the format will be similar to previous years. We have had a very good response of events other years and due to past success, this year will be similar,” said Duncan, senior in mechanical engineering.

Despite the success of past years, one particular area the Veishea committees hope to improve upon is incorporating all students into Veishea.

“We have met with many multicultural student organizations and are actively trying to offer something everyone will enjoy in Veishea 2000,” Duncan said. “This is definitely an area we try to improve upon and feel we are doing a fair job so far, although it is early in the planning process this year.”

The entertainment committee is “looking to completely revamp Taste of Veishea to a multicultural food fair, add multicultural speakers throughout the week and feature more multicultural entertainment acts,” Duncan said. “We are trying to incorporate different events for many different people.”