Financial aid director says online renewal will mean faster processing, fewer errors

Valerie Dennis

The computer age and financial aid are coming together in a way they never have before.

“The previous method of renewing financial aid was for the Department of Education to send a paper renewal to all students who had previously filled out the FAFSA,” said Earl Dowling, director of financial aid.

“In November, the government will send all enrolled applicants a Personal Identification Number (PIN), where they can go on to a secure site on the Internet and complete their financial aid forms online,” he said.

All students who have applied for financial aid in the past will be sent an electronic mail by the financial aid office in the next few weeks stating the change in registration and making applicants aware of the PINs.

PINs will be mailed to the students’ permanent home addresses in November.

Dowling said there are many advantages to the PIN.

“Starting in 2000, students can access their financial aid history by entering their PIN number,” Dowling said.

“If a student forgot how much money they borrowed, they are able to review their entire history. They will have a record of what they received every year.”

By changing the registration to a computer-only format, applications will be processed faster and corrections or changes to the application can now be made quicker, Dowling said.

Another advantage to online registration is that the software used for the applications has a math checker.

“The No. 1 reason income tax and financial aid returns are delayed is simple arithmetic errors, and the math checker makes sure that isn’t possible,” Dowling said.

Students, Dowling feels, will adapt to the change fairly easily. “Students are comfortable with technology and computerization,” he said. “Filing for financial aid over the Internet is a natural fit for the student body.”

Erin Tornholm, undeclared freshman, didn’t file for financial aid last year, but she said registering by computer would make it easier, convenient and more accessible.

“I wouldn’t have a problem with registering over the Internet,” said Ed Wanat, junior in chemical engineering, about sending private information over the Internet. “People can get information about me other ways if they want to find out about me. There is not a whole lot I can do to stop them.”

Although PINs will be distributed in November, registration for financial aid will not take place until Jan. 1. One may access the forms before January by logging onto Iowa State’s home page and clicking on the student financial aid Web site.

There are many places that students who don’t have access to a computer at their permanent or school residence can register, Dowling said. Computer access is available throughout campus in residence halls, computer labs, libraries and Access Plus kiosks.

“The change to the Internet registration is primarily for the students benefit,” Dowling said. “It will allow for quicker and more accurate filing of financial aid forms.”