Changing of the guard, Daily names new editors

Marty Forth

The Iowa State Daily Publication Board selected a new editor in chief for both the summer and the 1998-99 school year at its meeting Wednesday night.

Staci Hupp, junior in journalism and mass communication, will fill the summer editor position, while Tara Deering, junior in journalism and mass communication, will serve as the Daily’s fall/spring editor.

The decision was made following an application process and an interview before 21 publication board members.

“The interview was nerve-racking, but I am very pleased with the outcome,” Hupp said. “I look forward to using my energy and knowledge to aid the Daily this summer as editor in chief.”

Hupp, who has an emphasis in magazine journalism, is in her third semester at the Daily, and currently serves as a news editor.

She added that she plans to work closely with the staff this summer.

“I feel that we need to focus on teamwork in the newsroom,” she said. “The Daily in the summer is only published twice a week, and that will give us adequate time to get to know each other and work to continue the quality of the paper.”

Deering, whose emphasis is in newspaper journalism, said she was honored to receive the position.

“When starting at the Daily, I always aspired to one day be editor in chief,” Deering said. “I am appreciative of the opportunity that I have received.”

Deering’s experience at the Daily includes two semesters as a reporter and one semester as a news editor. She is currently the head news editor.

Deering also has served a summer internship at The Des Moines Register and will intern this summer with the Omaha World-Herald.

Deering said her main objective for next year is “to maintain the Daily’s standing force in the Iowa State and Ames community as the news source students and residents turn to for their news.”

One major change planned for the Daily next year is the appointment and implementation of an editorial adviser who will provide feedback to Daily reporters and editors.

“The main goal of the editorial adviser will be to critique the newspaper after it is published,” Deering said. “Their job would include working with the editor in chief to improve the editorial content of the paper.”

Deering said she intends to work extensively with the editorial adviser to improve the general quality of stories featured in the Daily.

Both Deering and Hupp said one problem the Daily faces is maintaining a sufficient number of reporters.

“Particularly in the summer, it is difficult to find an appropriate number of reporters, and right now I plan to concentrate on recruiting as many as possible,” Hupp said.

Deering said she has started recruitment efforts and plans to continue them throughout the summer and into the fall semester.

“I am very excited to work with the current Daily staff, but hopefully by next fall, I will have at least 30 new reporters work with,” she said.

The Daily begins publishing for the summer semester on May 21.