S.A.D.D. ‘ties one on’, calling attention to drunk driving

Andrea Vitzthum

The Iowa State chapter of Students Against Destructive Decisions (S.A.D.D.) initiated their campaign “Tie One On For the Holidays” at the Memorial Union last Friday.

Approximately 200 ribbons adorn the MU landscape in an effort to call attention to S.A.D.D.’s campaign against drinking and driving over the holidays. In addition, December is National Drunk and Drugged Driving Prevention month.

Students were asked to sign a pledge against drinking and driving during the holiday season. Then they tied a red ribbon on a tree to show support for a safe holiday break.

The white ribbons represent people who have been directly affected by drinking-related accidents and deaths.

Amy Jones, ISU S.A.D.D. chapter president, said the ribbons will remain up until Dec. 18. They are accompanied by a sandwich board that gives information about the S.A.D.D. crusade.

Jones said she believes the campaign was a success. “We had a better turnout than in the past,” she said.

Although the Center for Disease Control reported a “recent decline in the proportion of alcohol-involved deaths among drivers of all age groups,” drinking and driving continues to be a problem on America’s roadways.

A Dec. 5 press release from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention said of the 41,907 traffic accidents that occurred in 1996, 40 percent were alcohol-related.

S.A.D.D. is a nationwide organization that works to educate students on the possible dangers associated with drinking and driving. The acronym S.A.D.D. previously stood for Students Against Driving Drunk; however, this past semester the national organization changed the name to Students Against Destructive Decisions, Jones said.

The S.A.D.D. Web site said the name was changed to “cover all the bases, from teen pregnancy to suicide, drug prevention and gangs.”

S.A.D.D. originated in Wayland, Mass., in 1981 after the town experienced two deaths in alcohol-related crashes.

High school health teacher Robert Anastas and his students organized the first group. S.A.D.D. went national in September 1982 and now is present in all 50 states and Canada.

“Drinking and driving is our main focus,” Jones said. However, she said the program also includes educational information about alcohol-related violence, including rape.

The S.A.D.D. organization on campus, although small, works to spread the word about drinking and driving to the student body, Jones said.

“We put on several programs, usually for fraternities, sororities or residence halls,” she said.

One such program is entitled “Dizzy Bats and Lifesaving Facts.” Students are asked to spin around in circles bent over with their foreheads on a baseball bat. Then they get on a bike and attempt to maneuver their way through an obstacle course designed to resemble Welch Avenue.

“After the ride, we give scenarios about the effect [their driving] had,” Jones said. She said the group then goes over the realistic consequences that can result from driving drunk.

S.A.D.D. students also play a trivia game using alcohol-related statistics and conduct presentations about violence associated with alcohol use.

Dave Haden, student activities specialist and S.A.D.D. adviser, said the group spent a great deal of time earlier this semester redesigning the trivia program. They created a Jeopardy-type game using alcohol-related facts.

Haden said he expects the group to give even more presentations next semester.

Next semester S.A.D.D. students also will be participating in a workshop about alcohol abuse on the nation’s college campuses, he said.

S.A.D.D., along with other peer education groups, the Alcohol Education Committee and several other faculty and student organizations will be welcoming Alan Berkowitz, a noted speaker and researcher on the subject of alcohol abuse. Haden said Berkowitz will visit ISU Jan. 20-22.

Jones said she feels S.A.D.D. is important on college campuses and that the intent of the group is not to lecture.

“We don’t like to preach; students are mature enough to make their own decisions,” she said. “We want to give information to help them make healthy decisions.”

All groups interested in the presentation are encouraged to contact S.A.D.D. to set up an appointment. ISU’s S.A.D.D. chapter is funded by the Government of the Student Body.