For Your Information

Daily Staff Writer

Poetry contests

Poets are encouraged to submit poems of up to 21 lines to various on-line poetry contests. The Bards of Burbank, the New York Poetry Alliance and the Texas Poetry Alliance are each offering a $1000 grand prize to the winner of their contests. The deadlines range from Dec. 16- 30. Interested individuals can enter the contest at www.freecontest.com.

Chemistry seminars

The chemistry department is presenting three seminars on Friday, Dec. 12. Dr. Miguel Garcia-Garibay, a professor from the University of California of Los Angeles, will present “Generation and Control of Reactive Intermediates in Crystalline Solids” at 1:10 p.m. Professor David Hage, from the University of Nebraska, will speak about chromatographic immunoassays at 2:30 p.m. And at 4:10 p.m., Kaustav Das, Ph.D., a postdoctorate research associate at Iowa State, will speak on “Excited State Photophysics of Hypericin and Hypcrellin.” All seminars will take place in room 1352 Gilman Hall.

Christmas musical

The First Assembly of God Church, 409 13th St., will present a Christmas musical called “A Season, A Savior, A Star,” at 7:00 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 12, and at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 14. There is no charge.

Holiday cookie baking

On Saturday, Dec. 13, at 10:00 a.m. in the Gateway Activity Room, a two-hour class on holiday cookie baking will be given for people of all ages. Participants will learn techniques in making and decorating holiday cookies. Class fee is $14. Call the Ames Parks and Recreation Administrative Office at 239-5360 for registration information.

Car Bash ’97

All students are invited to relieve some pre-finals stress at “Car Bash ’97,” sponsored by Freshman Council. The Car Bash will take place from 3-5 p.m. today in front of the Memorial Union, and there is no cost to take a swing at the car.

For more information, call the Freshman Council office at 294-2600.