ISU senior to compete for theatre scholarship

Katie Carroll

Early next year, Heather Gulling, a fifth-year senior in biological illustration, will be driving to Kansas City to compete for a national scholarship in theater.

Gulling has been nominated before, but this is the first time she will compete.

“When I was a sophomore here, I was nominated for ‘A Woman’s Place’ but I just had too much going on to commit to such a big project,” Gulling said.

Along with a few other Iowa State students, Gulling is being considered for the Irene Ryan Scholarship.

Ryan played Granny on the 1960s hit TV show “The Beverly Hillbillies.”

The national scholarship recognizes “the best of the best” of college and university actors, according to Patrick Gouran, professor of theater professor.

The process of being nominated requires a respondent, similar to a judge, from another university to come see a show and recommend certain actors to be nominated.

The director of the show can also nominate candidates.

“As soon as the respondent sees the show and nominates actors, those actors should be working on their pieces for regionals,” Gouran said.

As a former judge of regionals, Gouran said it is easy to see who has been working on their scripts and who has not.

“At nationals, there are representatives from graduate schools, theater workshops and other prestigious institutions that will be exposed to your abilities. “It’s especially a great opportunity for students who want to pursue acting as a career,” he said.

ISU students nominated this year will be attending the American College Theater Festival on Jan. 20 to perform in regionals.