A commendable job

Jason Cox

To all the people who feel it necessary to trash the Daily and its writers: lay off.

It seems to me the students that write these columns and publish the Daily do a great job. Considering they are students just like us, and still find time to get a newspaper out for us every day is incredible — commendable even.

I know some of the Daily writers in passing and know some of the feedback that’s sent to them. Two particular incidents stand out in my mind from this week. One article was written condemning the fact that the aerator in the swan’s pond had not been turned on, and of course there has been constant criticism that the Arts and Entertainment section is taking.

The swan article took criticism for a typo on one line in which they were referred to as geese, a simple mistake that the author was unable to correct before it went to print. No big deal, right? We’re all students — humans who make mistakes. But this mistake required, some student felt, a one-page dissertation to point out the difference and several other mistakes that the writer felt were untrue. In fact, they weren’t exactly true — the article’s author did quite a good job in what little time was given to research the article.

Now on to the rest of our show. The Arts and Entertainment section is by no means the caliber of, say, the New York Times, but we should be considering this is a STUDENT- run, and probably totally under-funded, newspaper.

Mr. Jones does a great job covering what he can and feels that we want to know about. And he does cover a lot of the more popular stuff, though not what I would like to see there, but hey, he still does a great job. And as for Mr. Ice, Moss, though I usually disagree with his articles and opinions, he still is doing his job to the best of his abilities and does it well.

As it is obvious from this letter, I would never make a Daily writer. But I do have some valid suggestions to make if you’re still with me after all of the ramblings. You want good music reviews of local bands and new music, then turn to another fine student-run organization — KURE. These people obviously enjoy music and probably keep on top of the new stuff; maybe they can help take the load off other writers and they can cover other things.

And to you people who don’t feel local concerts and bands are covered well enough, instead of a one-page letter trashing the writers for not getting to one specific concert one Friday night, write a one-page article covering the concert and send it in. They may like it, they may publish it, you may get a job and you will be able to stop whining.

Jason Cox

Junior

Management information systems