Volleyball team collects second win

Christopher Clair

The ISU volleyball team collected their second win of the season over the weekend, but dropped two matches at the Northern Illinois Tournament in Dekalb, Ill.

ISU defeated Eastern Illinois in their final match of the three they played in the tournament. The Cyclones disposed of their opponents in four games, including a 15-0 score in the second game.

Sonya Van Helden and Rachelle Van Scoyoc led the way in the second match, recording 24 and 12 kills, respectively. “I was working well with Jen Lansink, our setter,” Van Scoyoc said.

A large contribution was made by freshman Andrea Thul, who sent down eight kills while racking up a career-high two service aces.

Jodi DeVries, another freshman, also made a large role in the team’s match against Ohio State University. The Cyclones were facing the 12th-ranked team in the nation, and held their own against the OSU, falling in four games, 9-15, 9-15, 15-12 and 13-15.

DeVries collected 11 kills and six blocks against OSU, with two of the blocks being solo efforts. She was one of five players with double digit blocks, with Staci Smith leading the team with 16.

Jen Lansink added 60 assists and was among the five-way tie for top dig honors with nine.

The contributions the newcomers are making for the team have not gone unnoticed. “The freshman are doing a great job and they are to be commended for that,” Van Scoyoc said.

Since she is one of the seniors on the team, Van Scoyoc knows they shoulder some of the responsibility of bringing the freshman along. “They look to us, but that is to be expected,” Van Scoyoc said.

The opening action for ISU in the tournament was Friday night when they faced the host school of Northern Illinois. The Huskies took it to the Cyclones, winning in four matches, 11-15, 15-8, 9-15 and 5-15.

Van Scoyoc had a solid game with 15 kills, a .407 hitting percentage and five block assists. Van Helden and Smith each added nine kills to the ISU cause.

“We are starting to click, we are bringing things together,” Van Scoyoc said about the season thus far. “We were having one aspect lag behind, but we are starting to play together.”

The team travels to Louisiana this weekend to participate in the New Orleans Tournament Sept. 20 and 21. “After this weekend, we are hoping to come out strong this time and be clicking as a unit,” Van Scoyoc said.

“We are on the upswing right now,” she continued. “This is a good tournament where we can pick up some wins.”