Takeaways: Iowa State secures a road win against Rider

Mikinna Kerns/Iowa State Daily

Redshirt Freshman Ian Parker wrestles Anthony Cafelo Nov. 26 in Stephens Auditorium during the Iowa State vs Rider wrestling meet. The Cyclones were defeated 15 to 22. 

Trevor Holbrook

The Cyclones extended their winning streak with a 29-17 win over Rider.

Iowa State knocked off Rider in seven of 10 matches.

Gomez goes down

It’s been a point of emphasis for redshirt freshman Austin Gomez to kick off a match with a strong first period.

Gomez has fallen into the habit of falling behind in the first period and rumbling back for exciting wins.

After the Southern Scuffle, Gomez focused on it and improved against North Dakota State and Fresno State.

Against Rider, Gomez was pinned by Anthony Cefelo in 2:56. 

Gomez has shown few weaknesses in his young college career, but he needs to shore up the first-period woes.

Coleman continues success

After struggling at 174 pounds last season, redshirt freshman Marcus Coleman boosted the lineup with his presence.

Entering the Rider dual, Coleman sported a dual record of 5-0 and 16-6 overall. Coleman tacked on another win with a 16-8 major decision over George Walton.

Coleman fell behind early, digging a 7-3 hole after the first period. The Ames, Iowa, native trimmed the deficit to 7-6 after the second period.

When the final horn sounded, Coleman piled up 10 points in the third period. Similar to Gomez, Coleman is a young athlete Iowa State can build around this season and moving forward.

Pins

Maybe the most surprising pin was Gomez’s, but there’s plenty to choose from. The dual began with a pin delivered from Iowa State 125-pounder Alex Mackall over Jonathan Tropea in 5:24.

After that, Gomez’s loss via pin came next.

The trend continued in the 141-pound match. Iowa State redshirt sophomore Ian Parker controlled his match against Travis Layton before putting the match away with a pin in 5:19.

At 149-pounds and 157-pounds, no pins appeared in a pair of Cyclone wins from Jarrett Degen and Chase Straw.

A pin flared up again at 165-pounds when Rider’s Jesse Dellavecchia over Iowa State freshman Logan Schumacher in 4:39.

The dual ended with a pin at heavyweight. In the second period, Rider’s Ryan Cloud managed to pin Gannon Gremmel to close the dual.